Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Coconut Fried Chicken with Mango Chili Sauce

So are you following along from the bountiful basket?? Are you desperately wondering what I am going to think up first? Wondering which ingredient will be my first casualty?? Well wonder no more. I have chosen......the......MANGO! We had gotten pizza and boneless wings from Dominos last week and Alex really enjoyed their mango habenero sauce and wanted me to try and make one. And what comes in our basket but mangoes! It was fate!! So now what to make with this sauce? Well it seemed fitting to do some sort of chicken and then it hit me!! Coconut crusted chicken!! And to round out the meal a light spring green salad.

Mango-Chili Sauce:
2 mangoes, peeled and cut up
1T grated ginger
2 Japon dried chilies, rehydrated and cut in half
3T brown sugar
1T rice vinegar
1T canola or vegetable oil (mostly to help cut the heat some)

Place the ingredients into a small sauce pan on medium heat and cook for 10 minutes or until the mangoes are soft. Place into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.



Coconut Fried Chicken:
chicken tenders
flour for dredging
1/2c buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1-2c flaked untoasted coconut
oil for frying

Mix the egg and buttermilk in a bowl. Dip chicken in flour and coat. Then dip in egg mixture. Finally dip into flaked coconut. Place in large skillet with preheated oil. Fry until golden brown and cooked through. Eat with mango-chili sauce.





So we ate ours with a mixed spring green salad with apricot dressing. The dressing is the same one from grilled turkey salad. It goes well with this dish with the sweetness from the apricot jam. It was the perfect thingto eat with the chicken. It was delicious!! We both loved it. When I made the chili sauce it was a little hot for my taste. So I was nervous. But after eating it with the chicken, it lost some of its intense heat. You could really taste the mango and ginger and I was afraid you would not be able to. I know Alex likes to taste his heat....and nothing but heat. But I like for it to have some flavor other than hot to it! So when I tasted the ginger and mangoes I was super excited. But what did Alex say?? It could have been a little hotter for him!! Guess you can't win them all huh??



I will definitely make this again. It was super tasty. Even making the sauce again the dish was easy enough to make. I did take some to one of my neighbors and she and two of her daughters loved the meal. They devoured the little plate I brought over to them. It's always nice to know that your food is liked by people outside of your family. So I guess this was a keeper!!

1 comment: