Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lamb Tagine

Okay, it has come to my attention that I am being missed on this site. I truly appreciate that. And I have no real reason why the delay in writing. I suppose it stems from my writing insecurities. No one ever thinks their stuff is that good. They never believe people are actually reading and not just reading but trying out recipes. I mean I think I'm awesome......and my husband better think that as well, but it is truly an honor to think other people think I'm awesome (and yes I am putting words in your mouth because even if you think I am just slightly above average I shall twist your words to tell me its awesome!! LOL!). So without further delay I shall reveal to you a somewhat exotic and very tasty dish known as tagine.

Tagine, if you want to look at an official site, is a Morroccan dish named after the pot it is cooked in. It is slightly triangular and conical on the top. Its a stew basically. But this can be done and effectively without a tagine, just use a dutch oven. (Big shout out to my Dad for my awesome one I use!). It is not a spicy dish like curries, it is a sweeter type dish so do not get carried away thinking it needs to be spicy when taste tasting. Lamb is pretty typical in these dishes. And who doesnt like lamb?? And these stews are typically cooked with some kind of sweet dried fruit. We used apricots because it is the closest thing to authentic. I even went so far as to buy the Mediterranean apricots! I know I know....I'm a dork as well as a food snob. But I accept my lot in life and that has to count for something!!

Tagine:
1/2c apricots, soaked  enough water to cover
2T olive oil
1 onion, diced (or 1/2 onion pureed in the food processor like me)
3 medium carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2lb cubed lamb*
1t cumin
1/2t Ras al Hanout**
1t corriander
1t cinnamon
3 bay leaves
rind and juice of 1/2 orange
1t saffron
1/2-1t chili flakes (depending on hotness level)
1T ground almonds (after using I think I would use flour or something other than the almonds, it gave the dish a gritty feeling in your mouth that was not all together pleasant)
1 1/4c chicken stock
1-2T capers or chopped green olives
1t sesame seeds, toasted
salt and pepper
rough chopped parsley for garnish

*I roasted a leg of lamb the night before and therefor used that lamb and cut the slices into chunks. Alternatives to this are using other cuts of lamb, preferably leg, thigh, or shoulder pieces with some fat to them and cubing them.

**Ras al Hanout is a middle eastern spice that is relatively unheard of. I know I had not heard of it until I took a spice class. Every person/manufacturer makes it different but it typically includes: cardamon, clove, cinnamon, chili flakes, corriander, nutmeg, tumeric, and peppercorns. Mine had a thai peppercorn, lavender and rose petal incorporated in it. You can leave out the Ras al Hanout and add a little extra of the other flavors or be bold and buy some from a specialty spice site. My spice sage is my favorite site to buy from. They have a wide range of products as well as containers for their spices. And never buy when there isn't a promotion going on. Most of the time there is either a free shipping or free product promotion going on with any purchase. So if you are so inclined to buy....wait for a promotion to get free stuff!!

Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and bay leaves and cook until onion gets soft. Add meat and try to get a nice color on the meat. Add spices and cook 5 minutes. Add apricots and the juice they are soaking in, chicken stock, orange juice and zest, saffron and ground almonds or flour. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to slow simmer. Cook until meat is tender. Some recipes say 45 minutes, others call for hours. Mine took about 1 1/2 hours and could have used a little longer. I suggest having at least 3 hours to simmer gently on low to get the best results from the meat.

Once done it goes well with a simple couscous and na'an bread. This is crucial!! Na'an is a middle eastern staple and in Las VEgas can be found at my local Wal-Mart in the deli bread section. I strongly recommend finding na'an. It is a flat bread traditionally baked inside a wood oven. You will thank me for it later!! If you cannot find it, flour tortillas or pita bread or other flat bread will work. Garnish tagine with sesame seeds and chopped parsley.



This dish is easy enough to do on a weekday, if you stay home like me, or weekend and still have time to do all the things you want. But it is elegant enough to spice things up! It is exotic enough to transport you to a different place and culture and satisfying enough to feel good about yourself later. I absolutely recommend trying this out! Especially if you like to try foods other than the same ole stuff you eat all the time. Venture our of the cliche food nations like Italy, Mexico, China and trying something really exotic like Morrocan.....I guarantee once you eat it you will be searching the web to try more new flavors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment