Monday, May 23, 2011

Churros

So I keep saying that I do not bake, I'm not a dessert cook, but deep down I still love doing it. And I think a well rounded chef should be able to do everything. So I continue to make sweets! And it is days like this one in particular that I am grateful I have not given up on making sweet treats. For if I had, the churros I made from scratch this night would never have been made, and if they had never been made I would not have experienced their intoxicating fragrance and taste. And what I am about to reveal may be horrific to your eyes....so if you are unsure you want to read it....skip ahead! But I had never had a churro before this time!! SHOCKER!! And to be honest with you....I do not know why I have never had one. I mean we live in Las Vegas where there is Hispanic food EVERYWHERE!! And at every event or place you go, there are churros. But as shameful as it is to admit, it led me to this food revelation. Churros are freaking awesome!! I think I had some preconceived notion in my head they would be like Taco Bell's cinnamon twists: crunchy. But they were tender and fluffy and warm and almost like a beignet and a donut had a mexican baby. That baby's name is Churro. Have I excited you enough to want to try it?? SUCKER!! Recipe is all mine! Ok, I'm only joking you can have it! Gotta have a little fun sometimes right??

Recipe:
1 1/4c milk
4T unsalted butter
1T white sugar
1/2t vanilla
1/4t salt
1 1/4c all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
vegetable oil for frying

Bring the milk, butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; add flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture gathers into a glossy ball, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time with a mixer. Trandfer the batter to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2inch star tip.

Fill a shallow dish with sugar for coating the churros. Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a wide saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees. Working in batches of about 6, pipe 3-inch-segments of batter into the hot oil; use a knife to cut off the segments. Fry, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer to a peper towel-lined plate to drain briefly, then roll in the sugar.



If you like to have something different every once in a while you should try the dipping sauce I made for it. The churros are wonderful all on their own but take on a completely different flavor when dipped in coconut sauce!!

Recipe:
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
3/4c unsweetened coconut milk

Cook the condensed milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it turns a light caramel color and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan 10-15 minutes. Gradually add the coconut milk and whisk until smooth, about 5 minutes; set aside. You can refrigerate the sauce, covered, up to 2 days, reheat before serving.


We had such a gluttonous feast on these I thought we might die. So to get them out of my house I gave them to a neighbor. So hopefully you know your neighbors enough to bring them some churros when you realize how many of them you made and that you are liable to eat them all yourself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment