Thursday, April 12, 2012

Herbal Salt

I read a very interested blog the other day about herbal sugars. This lady was so radiant about how wonderful an herbal sugar was sprinkled on toast or in your coffee that I almost believed it. Hey I said ALMOST! After pulling away from her unicorn theory I realized that she wasnt too far off. Instead of sugar why not salt. I know there are plenty of you out there who like sweet and herbal and salty all in one bite. And I am not disagreeing with that. I like it too. But I do not warrant a whole jar of herbal sugar. Salt on the other hand could be really fun.



I recently killed a large portion of my rosemary and all of my sage, all accidentally I assure you! I would never purposefully danger my precious! It was death by overfertilizing. But I decided before all the needles died I would pluck them off and make herbal salt with them. Why not right? I mean I have the stuff to do it.

I pulled out my reserved tiny mason jars (I mean afterall who needs a mason jar full of herbal salt?? Thats crazy talk). The method is herb/salt/herb/salt/herb/salt......etc. I did a rosemary and a sage. Although I didnt have as much sage as I would have preferred. It is suppose to sit and let the herbs oils permeate for at least 2 weeks. So I have hit that mark and pulled it off my cool dark shelf. I opened the sage jar first. Mmmmmmm.......salt. I opened the second jar. Mmmmmmmm.......rosemary salt. I believe the difference was the small amount of sage in that jar.




But at the present moment I am unsure if I will grind the herbal salt so the rosemary is always incorporated or use around it. I am afraid if I grind it then I will want to add more herbs and spices to it and make it a generic spice blend. Not that its a bad idea. Just not exactly what I had in mind when I started.


I will say this. While reading the comments about herbal SUGAR I saw some that peaked my interest. A lemon verbena in sugar would be very nice to use in/on sugar cookies. Maybe even mint. But if you are looking for something to do with your almost dead herbs try some salt or perhaps sugar and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment