Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fake Lasagna

Okay, I am a little late in blogging for April Fools Day, but rather late than never right? Well that is my thinking at least. Last year I made the "sushi" that was rice krispie treat wrapped in fruit leather with fruit slices. So what could top that? Perhaps "lasagna" could. And it was worth a shot! So I drug the kids to the grocery and together we forgot our list and winged it! So here is my winged version of fake lasagna.



Ingredients:

vanilla pudding mix (made as directed on box)
pound cake sliced into 1/4in slices
small tub ricotta cheese
powedered sugar
1/2 small jar strawberry jam
oreo cookies
bananas
white chocolate, shaved
mint, sliced

Mix your ricotta with 6T or more of powdered sugar. I pulsed my through a small food processor to make it smooth like cannoli filling. Use your own personal tastes on the sugar.

The recipe said to take 5 Oreo cookies and crush them up and add to your jam. But either I did something wrong or crushed the cookies too much or something else because when I mixed them together the color turned almost black instead of staying strawberry red. So if I ever did this again I do not think I would add the Oreos to the "marinara". But use your own preferences here.

In a small casserole dish place pound cake slices. Gently spread some strawberry jam mixture over the pound cake. Then layer with sweetened ricotta. Take a banana and slice. Place the slices on top of the ricotta. Finish with vanilla pudding. Continue layering until all ingredients are used or the pan is full. Take your white chocolate and shave it on a cheese grater. Place the shavings on the top of the "lasagna" Top with sliced mint leaves. Unfortunately I didnt have any fresh mint in my garden and forgot to buy some. Oh well.



So the verdict? Well...it wasnt inedible. But I am not going to make it again. It just didnt hit me as something to eat again. And my presentation isnt all that great either. I dont think the jam is especially convincing as marinara, perhaps due to the Oreos. It was pretty good tasting. If you get the jam thick on the lasagna then it might take a weird turn taste wise. So keep that thin and you will be okay. But I will say the next day the pound cake had soaked up all that moisture from the ricotta and pudding. It turned into a Southern style tiramisu. Just not quite as tasty. But calling it tiramisu isnt any fun on April Fools Day. And while this dish isnt anywhere near my top 50 desserts, I felt I should blog to yall and show you some semi creativeness. If you try your own "lasagna" be sure to let me know what you think and what you did differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment