Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pear Almond Tart

Well today the baking bug got me. I normally do not get this bug so I thought I would burn it out today! I opted for a Pear Almond Tart. The pears were given to me by my Granny and I needed to do something before they turned. But I also didnt want to do something that I always do with them. Like opting out and making jam or adding to a salad. And I have seen several recipes lately for pear tarts, crostatas and pies. So I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. Man did I get in over my head!! lol. This took several hours to make. So like most other things I do, its not for the faint of heart. I also do not expect many people to try this....at least that I know. Mainly because of the time issues surrounding food like this. But I hope the reason you continue to read my blog is to watch me tackle the things that you do not want to tackle in your everyday life. So I am here to oblige!

Pear Recipe:
time:2hrs plus

3-4 pears, halved, cored, and peeled



1/2 bottle of sweet white wine
1/2c water
1-2 cinnamon sticks
4-10 whole cloves (depending on age and potency)
1 slice lemon
1/2-1c sugar

In a medium pot add all ingredients but pears. Bring to a boil and simmer gently while prepping your pears. You will notice more lemon in my poaching liquid than in the recipe....do not be fooled. Use 1 slice! Too much lemon makes the pears too bitter and nasty tasting. You will end up either throwing them out or compensating with more sugar which will not completely mask the fact you screwed up.



Add the pears and simmer 1-2 hours or until the pears are tender when poked with a fork. Let the pears sit in the poaching liquid until ready to use.

*If you make excess poached pears you can can them. I sliced the the halves into thirds and placed in a sterile jar. Fill with poaching liquid. Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Add your filled jars and boil for 10 minutes. I like to slowly let my jars get to a room temperature by leaving in the hot water for at least and hour and then pull them out onto the counter. They should seal and be ready to go any time you want them.



Almond Cream Recipe:
6T unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3c sugar
3/4c ground blanched almonds
2T all purpose flour
1T cornstarch
1 large egg
2t dark rum or 1t pure vanilla.....I used homemade bourbon vanilla extract and used 1 1/2t

In a food processor add butter and sugar and process until smooth. Add the ground almonds and continue to process until smooth. Add the flour and cornstarch and process. Then add egg and mix until the mixture is smooth and homogenous. Add your vanilla or rum and mix well. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.




Pastry Shell Recipe:
1 1/2c all purpose flour
1/2c confectioners sugar
1/4t salt
1 stick plus 1T cold unsalted butter in pieces
1 large egg yolk

In a food processor gently pulse the flour, sugar, and salt. Slowly add in the butter until it resembles a crumbly dough. Add the egg yolk and mix together. Once the dough comes together stop pulsing and remove from food processor. Turn out onto a floured surfact and very gently knead to pull together.

If you want to press into tart pan do so now. Lay in plate and gently press all the sides of the pan. Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes



If you want to save dough wrap in platic wrap and chill for 2 hours to one day.


Putting it Together:
Take your crust and either fit into your tart pan or pull tart pan out of freezer like I did. Spread in your almond cream and smooth out. Take your poached pears and slice them. Arrange on the cream in any design you like. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until the cream puffs up around the pears and starts to brown. Remove from oven and cool before unmolding. Before eating sprinkle with confectioners sugar.



Now if you are anything like me....your baking skills....well....they suck! I will admit it. So my design is really bad looking. I tried my best though!! So do not judge it based on my baking skills. If you would like to see the recipe and pictures I used feel free to click here.




So the verdict? It was good. I was really really nervous. I knew the pears were poached in too much lemon and I overcompensated with the sugar to help out, but would it be enough? Overall the tart was good. The pie shell was nice and flaky. The almond cream was smooth and slightly sweet with all the right notes of almond in it. The pears mellowed out once eaten baked and mixed with the rest of the tart. I do wish I had put more pears on the tart. It could've used about twice as much. Other than that...I have no real issues with it. And I think my baking design skills will improve with time and practice. I will never be a professional or even close. I have too many issues with precision when it comes to baking. But I think I could pass for decent. So hope the baking train and try it for yourself. Or just stare at the screen and envision how much better yours would look than mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment