Friday, October 7, 2011

Green Curry Pork and Eggplant

I don't know about you, but we love a good curry in our house. Green curry, yellow curry, red curry, middle eastern curry....doesn't matter. It's all good. So when I stumbled across this recipe using ground pork.....I couldn't resist! I mean it's curry and pork! I love pork. It has got to me my most favorite meat in the whole world. There is nothing quite like a succulent piece of pig!! Mmmmmm............(as writer zones out in a pig-related coma).................

Sorry about that! So back to the recipe.

Recipe:
1T vegetable oil
1/3c green curry paste*
1 1/2lbs ground pork
1 large eggplant cut into 1inch pieces
1 1/2c chicken broth
3/4c coconut milk*
1T fish sauce
1 1/2T soy sauce
1/2-1 lime juiced
cooked jasmine rice
1 scallion, sliced thinly




Using a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium high. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add pork and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 5 minutes. Add eggplant and cook until beginning to soften, 4 minutes.



 Add broth, coconut milk, soy sauce, fish sauce, and lime juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer until eggplant is tender

.

Serve over rice and top with sliced scallions.




I was not paying too much attention to the recipe and kinda did my own thing. I added the full can of coconut milk but reduced my chicken broth to about 1/2-1c. I also thought the recipe said 1-2T of curry paste so I added probably 3-4T....we like our curry like I said. Because of these things I had too much liquid in my pot and had to cook longer to get some of the liquid out. This resulted in a mushy eggplant. It didn't really bother me, but Alex didn't like the texture of the eggplant. And while the dish was fine, I tasted a lot of coconut milk and not enough curry. When I looked back at the recipe....I realized. So I do not recommend using a full can of coconut milk unless you are using at least twice the amount of pork. The coconut taste is not off putting, its just sweet instead of spicy. That is why I added the fish sauce and the soy sauce. I saw it garnished with lime wedges and in traditional green curry chicken you put the lime juice into the liquid. So I added it in the liquid instead of on the side to try and help counter balance the sweetness.

I would absolutely make this again. It was quick, easy, cheap, and good for you. So why not. I will just do it slightly different next time. I hope yall try this and if you have any feedback, as always feel free to pass on the love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment