Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Veggie Curry

So I finally got it into my little head that I should try tofu and do it right. I talked with Alex last night....didn't go so well! LOL! But after some discussion he finally caved and said he would try it. Little does he know that the Veggie Curry he thinks we are having will have some tofu in it too! It will be interesting to see if he can tell or notice if there is anything different with it. I thought curry would be a good medium for this adventure since curry has a lot of flavor to mask the taste and texture of tofu. I love curry and Middle Eastern flavors and what is funny is that I have no problem taking my very white Southern-speaking self downtown to the Mediterranean Market and buying all kinds of stuff from curry and spices to specialty grape leaves and meat. But you take me right down the street to the Mexican markets....completely terrified! I always think they are looking at me saying, "What is this white girl doing here?" I have to bring Alex with me when I go. And I do really love to go. All the great produce and meat at such wonderful prices. And all the unbelievable Spanish olive oil. I am sure that the Mexican market is far less likely to judge me and talk about me since there are hundreds of those markets and well money is money than the Middle Eastern market. There is only one in town that I know of at this quality and it is very tiny. Guess I am just a little backwards. Guess its time to grab an apron and start making the house smell like wet dogs butt! But oh how tasty!!


So my post was a little premature. I got distracted and busy with the kids that I completely forgot to make the tofu in the curry. Whoops. But I do intend to use the tofu in a very sneaky manner sometime in the future. As for the curry? It was not spectacular. What you see in the pan is cauliflower, chickpeas, onions, and sweet potatoes doused in curry powder and vegetable broth. I do not advise using striaght curry powder. I wish I had made my own curry blend or used one of the prepackaged mixes from the Middle Eastern market. I also do not think I had enough yogurt for the quantity of veggies used. But the sweet potatoes were truly wonderful. They were sweet and spicy. And thats always a great combination. Next time I will use a better curry spice blend and some more yogurt and definitely use more sweet potatoes. But it was a good place to start on a new recipe. You may be asking yourself...did the kids eat it? HAHAHA! Not even close! My self-proclaimed vegetarian wouldn't come within 5 feet of it. And well Vinnie is Vinnie so I do not really need to explain further. But then again it is curry and what 4 and 6 year old would eat curry willingly without being exposed to it every day?

5 comments:

  1. So did Alex like the tofu? I think it would be great for you to follow up and let us know what everyone thought of the food, expecially if there is something in there Alex detests...LOL. LOVE this blog, but i have to admit it is my very first one to read or participate in. Great work and love the vibrant colors in the veggies. It's pleasant to see them while typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the humor...forgot to say that. Actually had wet dog smell this morning with all the dew on their paws...YUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great! And I agree that we need a follow up on the St. Patrick's meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the pictures! But I'm waiting for the picture of Anthony in his leprechaun hat.

    ReplyDelete