Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Famous Dave's

So every girl deserves a night off from cooking dontcha think? I certainly do! And for us, tonight was that night. Eating healthy and watching carbs is fine....most of the time. But sometimes you just want something to stick to your ribs. And that means one thing to this Southern girl....BBQ!! And what better time to do it than the day Alex passes his PT test? I mean he has 6 months until his next one and the perfect time to sneak something in thats loaded with fat and carbs and calories is the day he passes. So that is what we did. We decided on Famous Dave's BBQ. Now...normally we stick with Memphis BBQ right across the street. I mean it is voted the best BBQ in Las Vegas. But we decided to think outside the box today and try Famous Dave's. And their menu looks a lot like Memphis with relatively the same prices on the food. So we found the number and called ahead to pick up. We ordered the Nachos for Two as an appetizer. They are basically colored chips topped with their bakes beans, cheese, sauce, jalapenos, and a barbequed meat (chicken, pork, or beef...we chose chicken).


I ordered the Georgia chopped pork with red mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Alex got the burnt ends and the chopped pork with cole slaw and mashed potatoes. And we got chicken tenders and french fries for the kids.



So I drove the supposed 15 minute drive across the interstate to Famous Dave's. But you know what I failed to remember?? It was 4:45 and the base had just changed shifts. So the road outside our house that leads to the restaurant was PACKED! I was so aggravated. I mean you expect this on the Strip or the I-15 or the beltways....but Craig Rd?? Man! So I sat in my car listening to my radio stations alternating between the rock stations and the country stations....singing Five Finger Death Punch and then switching it up to Billy Currington.....yes...I know...Im weird. But I have to good enough sense to know it! So I finally made it over the bridge and back again to my hungry family.

So whats my verdict? Not bad. But I think Memphis is better in the all around category. The pork was nice and flavorful and you had individual sauce packets whereas Memphis has a flavorful and slightly more juicy pork with sauce cups. The bread wasn't toasted and sat underneath the meat to get all soggy...Memphis puts theirs on top to get all soggy. The mashed potatoes were not great. "It'll eat" as Alex would say. And the macaroni has too many jalapenos in it for my taste. Now dont get me wrong....I thoroughly enjoy spicy food. In fact a lot of my food has a fair amount of heat in it...but when you're eating Southern BBQ jalapenos in your macaroni and cheese don't really mix. Its fine if you're making other food with Southwestern influences in it and make it. But with "Georgia chopped pork"....I'm not feeling it. I do not like cole slaw but Alex preferred Dave's to Memphis on this one. But overall we both agreed that Memphis was better. We both still enjoyed our dinner and were happy with it....but next time we want BBQ in Vegas we will chose Memphis BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment