Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mustard Seed Caviar

This post will definitely not be for everyone and I realize that. This is another one of my crazy ideas that I put into practice that perhaps is not on most peoples radar even when presented to them. But thats okay. I like to think you enjoy my trials and errors in the weird food realm. So here is another one for the books. I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit. And just in case you were not aware this is one of my favorite magazines! But I saw this recipe and was completely hooked. I had to try it! Alex wasnt too sure about it. And when I showed my Dad he didnt seem too interested either. But that didnt stop me! Oh no siree. But in order to do this I needed brown and yellow mustard seeds.  And where do I go when I need spices? My spice sage! You know for as much as I push their products youd think Id get something in return. Oh well. When you find a good place, with good prices you stick with them no matter the return.



And now that you have your mustard seeds it is time to experiment!!



Recipe:
*I halved the recipe stated here*

1/2c rice vinegar
1/4c brown mustard seeds
1/4c yellow mustard seeds
1/4c apple cider vinegar
1/4c sugar
1/2T salt
1/4c water

In a small saucepan combine all ingredients over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and turn heat to low and gently simmer stirring often and adding water by the tablespoonful if the mixture is too dry. Mustard seeds should be firm and intact but pop like caviar when bitten into, about 40-50 minutes.



Remove saucepan from stove and let cool completely. Transfer to a sealable container and place in the fridge.



So what can you do with this mixture you may be asking. Well the article suggests using with charcuterie (cured meats like pancetta, serrano ham, salami, etc), sauteed greens, or in a warm bacon dressing.

I told Alex about my endeavor and he has agreed to try it when he gets home. He said it is not as weird as some of the things I have made, afterall it is only mustard seeds. It tastes slightly sweet and tangy and a little pop in your mouth. I am very excited to try this in a recipe. Maybe I will persuade my mother to try some this week when she visits!! Let me know if you make this what you use it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment