Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bananas Foster

I absolutely live for dessert!! I mean who doesn't love dessert?? So I was flipping through my recipes looking for something to make that 1) went with dinner and 2) I had the ingredients for on hand. And when I landed on this, I knew immediately it was the winner. Bananas, rum, ice cream, caramel, and coconut.....yes please!! So after dinner, Alex did homework with Anthony and I started on dessert. I was a little worried the kids would want it and I wouldn't get a bite!! But I should've known they wouldn't eat anything different, even if its super tasty. But more for me and Alex!!

1/2c butter
1/2c dark brown sugar
2T dark rum (I used brandy)
2T fresh lime juice
1/4t allspice
1/8t salt
1/2c coconut
2 bananas, sliced
1/2c chunked pineapple
vanilla ice cream

In large skillet melt butter and add brown sugar, rum, lime juice, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add bananas and pineapple to caramel and cook until the bananas get soft, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile in small skillet toast the coconut until golden brown.

Place scoops of ice cream in a bowl. Spoon bananas, pineapple, and caramel sauce over ice cream. Top with toasted coconut.


It was like heaven in your mouth!! I was pleasantly happy with the flavor of the caramel. I was afraid the lime juice would be overpowering, and it wasn't. It was so awesome!! Family....BEWARE...you will be eating bananas foster in your near future!! Yes...even you Dad will be eating dessert!! So I absolutely, positively recommend making this. And it was quick and easy as well. So go out and get some bananas and make yourself something you won't forget any time soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment